Skycamp 2X - 2 Person Hardshell Rooftop Tent (Smaller Version of Orginal Skycamp) - by iKamper
iKamper has once again decided to revolutionize the market for Roof Top Tents and design an innovative model.
The Skycamp 2X is just what many camping and overlanding enthusiasts were looking for: a smaller, more affordable Skycamp.
The Skycamp 2X is $600 cheaper than the original one, and it's suitable for couples or solo travelers.
It maintains the original make and design of the Skycamp, both with the hardshell and the look and feel, yet it's a bit more compact to fit only 2 people (yet very comfortably).
It also maintains one of the best features possible for any rooftop tent: it opens and closes in less than 60 seconds (watch video below).
It also features a few new things, that of course, will improve the whole hard top tent itself:
- More Areodynamic (less impact on fuel economy)
- Weighs only 120 lbs
- Has a SkyView (roof window) to view stars and sky, or cover it with a rainfly
On top of that, this Skycamp 2X car top tent comes with the hard shell locks included, meaning you can lock the tent to keep curious animals (or people) out.
Other features include:
- An extremely durable and rugged poly-cotton canvas, yet breathable enough for warm weather.
- Waterproof zippers that will keep you dry at all times
- Option if adding an Awning or an Annex for an additional price
It will fit most Roof Racks in the market, especially thanks to the lighter weight and smaller size.
To see all the iKamper accessories available CLICK HERE.
Features of the Skycamp 2x:
- Fits 2 adults comfortably
- 4-Season Camping
- 3 Colors Available: Black, Dark Gray and White
- Made of water resistant 300 gsm Poly-Cotton Canvas
- Equipped with Waterproof Zippers
- Waterproof Rainfly
- SkyView Window on top of canvas
- Hard Shell Locks Included
- Aluminum Honeycomb (finest in the market) panel floor, with a double layered FRP (Fibre-Reinforced Plastic) shell
- Opens and Closes in less than 60 seconds
- Free Shipping!
- Size Closed: 85.8" L x 54.3" W x 12.5" H (218 x 138 x 32 cm)
- Size Open: 85.8" L x 54.3" W x 43" H (218 x 138 x 110 cm)
- Size of Mattress: 76 x 51 x 2" (193 x 130x 5cm) Super High Density Memory Foam
- Ladder: 90" Long (230 cm)
- Weight: 120 lbs (55 kg)
To see all the iKamper accessories available CLICK HERE.
Watch The iKamper Skycamp 2X RTT Setup Video:
The moment you place your order you will receive order confirmation e-mail. This means that we have received your order in our system and pre-authorized your credit card for the purchase.
As soon as we receive your order we automatically check to confirm that your order is in stock and available for immediate shipment. If your item is on back-order or unavailable we will void the pre-authorization and reach out to you via e-mail or phone to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
If your item(s) are available for immediate shipment (within 5 business days) we will process the charges and get to work preparing your order for shipment.
If your order is in stock and we process the charges to your credit card it will ship within seven business days from the date of your order.
We will send you shipping confirmation within 24 hours of your order leaving the warehouse to the e-mail address you provided when checking out.
From brand to brand shipping times may vary. However, you order will most likely be at your place between 5 to 14 days after you placed it.
If you do not receive shipping confirmation from us within six business days of your order feel free to follow up with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What To Do Before Accepting Shipment?
If your order has shipped please note that the tracking number may not be active until it reaches a freight terminal. This could take 1 to 2 business days from the date of this email.
Please inspect your package for damage prior to signing for it.
Off Road Tents takes pride in its products and packaging. Every tent that we ship out is properly classified, packaged, marked and labeled. Also each package is in the proper condition for transportation according to applicable regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation and/or international agencies.
Once your order is signed for at the delivery point, the package becomes your property and thus, our liability ends as far as shipping damage is concerned. Help protect yourself from loss or damage, or an uncomfortably painful claims process by:
1. Before Signing for your order, inspect the box or boxes for freight loss or damage. Red flags are punctures or any sign of forklift damage.
2. If any of the product(s) appear to be damaged or crushed do not accept delivery. Refuse the shipment and it will be sent back for processing.
3. It is extremely important that you inspect the box and tent (in case the item purchased is a tent) for damage BEFORE you sign to receive the tent. Please take photos of the box on the pallet exactly as it arrives. Please note, the driver will not help with damage inspection. IF you even suspect there could be damage to your item, please take pictures of the damage and REFUSE the delivery. That way the carrier will send it back to us and we'll process a new shipment.
4. Get a copy of the signed delivery receipt that shows the freight loss or damage notation, and send it to us: email@example.com
5. Contact Off Road Tents immediately at 1.844.200.3979
If you accept a damaged delivery, and/or there is freight loss and/or the damage is not noted at the time of delivery, Off Road Tents cannot be held liable for any replacement costs related to the shipment. Protect yourself from this by examining before you sign. Refusing delivery when damaged helps Off Road Tents win the case against the carrier, and replacing your item.
Why Shop With Us
We understand you've got alot of choice when it comes to Roof Top Tents and overlanding retailers online. But here's why we think you should shop with us at Off Road Tents
We aim to offer the BEST customer service. Got any doubts? Call us at any time.
Every order above $300 gets Free Shipping, and No Taxes. The price you see is the price you get.
Safe And Secure Shopping. We offer an SSL Service which will protect your credit card from any risks.
- All tents have a similar installation process, but they might vary a little, that is why we recommend you reading carefully THROUGH EACH PRODUCT MANUAL, as well as watching their videos (most are online, or you can ask us to send them to you).
- Tools needed: A Phillips head screwdriver, a box cutter, a second 13 mmm ratcheting wrench, a 10mm ratcheting wrench and a heck saw.
- Before mounting them onto a roof rack, flat rack or crossbar, the first step is removing your newly bought RTT from the box, as well as all the bits and pieces included (all RTTs WILL include all the necessary installation parts and a manual).
- Take the tent out of the box and place it on a clean surface with the straps faced DOWN. Set aside the mounting racks. Remove the protective plastic from the tent with the box cutter. Undo the straps from the sides of the tent and across the base.
- Open the tent, and take from inside of it all the contents. Most brands will include a tent cover, rainfly, ladder, mattress, and a pouch with the hardware, tools and parts.
- Most RTTs will include the following tools and hardware (see Image as an example): 2 bungees, 2 ladder brackets, 8 aluminum channel sliders with bolts and nuts, 4 end caps, four steel mounting plates, the needed wrenches, and four medium sized bolts with washers.
- Then, time for the action. Grab the mounting tracks of the RTT; place them on the tent base parallel to the hinges, aligning the holes in the tracks with the holes in the base.
- Grab the nuts, remove them from the four medium sized bolts and slide them into the mounting channels, as to align them to the holes in the base.
- Then take the bolts each with two washers, and slide them between the mattress and the tent base.
- Screw them into the pre drilled holes and the nuts you just put in the tracks.
- Once the tracks are on, you need turn/flip the tent over to install the ladder.
- Grab the Ladder Brackets and unscrew the bolts on each bracket, so that you can position over the pre-drilled holes at the edge of the tent base.
- Take the longer bolts each with the washer, and slide them between the mattress and the tent base, into the pre-drilled holes and up through the ladder bracket.
- Attach each one with a nut and leave them loose.
- Then grab the ladder and through the holes at the end of it, join it to the by passing the remaining length of the bolt through the holes in the ladder end. Then add another nut and tighten it on both sides.
- Then rotate the ladder a few times, before tightening the bolts of the brackets to the base.
- Then secure the ladder with the straps (most tents should have them), and then reattach the side straps of the tent to secure it.
- Once all the parts have been installed, make sure you put the travel cover on top of the tent. It is a very easy process that barely needs explanation; just make sure you close the zippers carefully to prevent the tent fabric catching to the zipper.
- Time to place the tent on top of the vehicle. Since they weigh over 120 lbs, you will want the help of someone to do it.
- Mounting the tent mounting tracks depends on whether you have side rails or cross bars, and if you want the tent to open towards the side of the car or towards the back. In this step-by-step guide we will use a side mounting as an example on top of cross bars.
- Place the mounting racks in the base of the tent, PERPENDICULAR to your roof rack bars.
- Then, fit two aluminum channel sliders and bolts into each end of the mounting track, so that there is a bolt on either side of the roof rack bar. Repeat this process at each of the 4 points where the racks and mounting racks cross.
- Once this is done, fit a steel mounting plate on the bolts and under the roof rack bar, and secure them with nuts and tighten them with a wrench.
- Insert the rubber end caps into the end of the mounting tracks to avoid water or other materials going in there. You might need to hammer them in, but don’t be too aggressive.
- It is INSTALLED!
- Now, to open it, release the side straps, pull back the ladder until it locks out and use it as leverage to open the tent.
- Make sure all rungs of the ladder are locked into the edge.
- Before getting into the tent, make sure the hinges are properly engaged.
- Then unclasp the awnings and find the predrilled holes for the rainfly rods.
- Insert at a 45-degree angle and hook through the grommet.
- You are READY!
iKamper Skycamp 2X - 2 Person Hardshell Roof Top Tent Reviews
QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Does this have a 70 mph limit? I know the original did. This is an issue!
Yes, this is the recommended limit. You can of course go faster than that, but it's at your own risk.
2018 Toyota Tacoma 4 door with factory roof rack. Is that sufficient?
Hello! If it comes with the cross bars, it is sufficient, but not the ideal. You can always acquire it and then value the option of a more tuff or complete roof rack. Hope this helps.
Can I get a thicker mattress? Can I leave sleeping bags inside when closed?
Unfortunately no and no. The Skycamp 2X closes really tightly, so that means if you want a thicker mattress, you can buy it but will have to store it outside of the tent. Same applies to the sleeping bags. Maybe, just maybe, the sleeping bags will be able to stay inside. But not the mattress!
I have a 2007 Toyota 4runner. Really want a Sky camp4 but I was told the rack limit is 150. Is this factory rack able to support a Skycamp 4 or do I need an aftermarket rack (which is pretty costly - I was quoted $1500). or should I think about the 2x model?
You don't need an after market roof rack, you can get after market CROSS-BARS. These are much cheaper (around $300), and as long as they are capable of supporting $150, AND drill-in, you're good to go. Don't get the clip-on ones, they're not good enough. Any other question, please call us: 844-200-3979. We'd be happy to help you with the 2X.
Have a 2004 Nissan Xterra. Will this tent mount easily? Are there modification kits available to modify my Nissan built in top carrier ?
If you ahve after market cross-bars or an after market roof rack, this will be very very easy to mount. It fits an X-Terra perfectly. As to what type, we tend to recommend Rhino Rack or Thule.
I’m 6’3”. Can I lay down in that? I think it says the mattress is 76” so I think it might be a tight fit.
Hello! Yes, you could definitely lay down but it definitely is a tight fit, the mattress has 76" of length. On this case we would recommend you to take a look at the Skycamp 4-person which is a bit bigger, the dimensions of the mattress are: 82.6 x 74.8 x 1.18”. Hope this helps!
Does the Skycamp 2x fit on top of the Honda Pilot 2015? With the weight of the iKamper+2 persons, will the car's roof support the weight? Do I have to install any additional rack?
It will definitely fit. However, you DO need to get aftermarket racks or cross-bars. The latter are a cheaper, yet good enough option. We recommend brands such as Thule or Rhino-Rack. Make sure the cross-bars have a weight support of at least 165 lbs, and that they are drill-in, NOT clip-ons. That said, if you need anything else, call us: 844-200-3979
Will the Skycamp 2X fit on a 2 door Jeep JK with a Rhino Rack installed on the roof?
It might overhang a bit on the front or back, but it will work perfeclty fine. You'd just have to make sure that the racks are at least 30" apart. Either way, I would recommend you to measure the length and width of the roof of your Jeep and compare it with the dimensions of the tent (85.8"x54.3") so you can create a more accurate mental image of how it will look. Hope this helps!
Does it use gas struts to open or some other mechanical device?
It uses gas struts.
Does the ladder come with the ikamper2x?
Yes, ladder is included, but it can't be stored inside or on top of the tent. It does collapse and becomes really compact and easy to store inside you vehicle.
Will the Skycamp fit (length) on a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, and can the factory stock rails and cross bars support the Skycamp?
Factory cross bars are not xactly what we recommend. We recommend after market cross bars, the drilled in ones, not the clip on ones. The mattress is: 76 x 51 x 2" (193x130x5cm) Super High Density Memory Foam
Hello, I am interested in the iKamper 2X and annex to use with a teardrop camper that has a height of 5'7" (plus roof rack). Will the annex be too tall?
Thanks for reaching out.
The setup you want sounds amazing!! It would be a bit tight but it should work fine. The optimal height of the base of the Skycamp for the annex to work perfectly should be at 5'9".
Let us know if we can help you with anything else.
Hello, just watched the video and Im wondering if you can store the ladder inside the tent?
Unfortunately the ladder will not fit inside the tent. However, it's really easy to just shorten it, as it's a telescoping ladder, and then just store it in the vehicle. It's very small when sized down!