Scout Off Road Trailer - Tires & Wheels Available - by Smittybilt
There are those occasions in which you will need a car trailer, preferably one that is suitable for off roads. If you are an experienced overlander, you know the great use an off road trailer is. They make your life easier, they are perfect for heavy loads, packing extra equipment, and will enable a better trip.
The Smittybilt Scout Trailer (SKU: 87400) is one of the best out there. This particular model, you can buy only the trailer, or the kit, which includes wheels and tires.
It comes at a reasonable price for car trailers, and the Smittybilt quality is something hard to find. The Scout is made of a fully boxed galvanized steel frame, powder coated with the under carriage featuring a heavy duty undercoating.
As to the payload, the Scout boasts one of 1763 lbs, it has 2-inch receivers at the end of the trailer, three off-road jacks, electric axle brakes in conjunction with a self-charging trailer break away system, that provides security from detachment and meet the trailer break laws in the 50 States.
On top of all that, it has an independent trailing arm suspension, with coil springs, dual shocks and limit straps for a smooth and reliable ride. The galvanized 14-gauge powder coated tub has a large main compartment and two side cabinets meaning that you will never run out of space again, you can load anything in it. It has side cabinets, sliding floors, locking T-handles, rain gutter rails for kayaks, bicycles or more.
Be reassured this is a beast of a trailer, built to handle heavy weight, to go on the roughest and toughest roads or surfaces. It will last, and overall you are going to enjoy it. And we offer Free Shipping.
- Galvanized steel frame that is powder coated
- Under carriage with heavy duty undercoating
- Boasts a payload of 1,763 pounds
- 2-inch receivers at each end of the trailer
- Electric axle brakes with a self-charging trailer break away system
- Independent trailing arm suspension
- Removable steel fenders
- Accommodates up to 37" tires
- Aluminum tongue box that for deep-cycle batteries and electrical systems
- With large main compartment and side cabinets
- ONLY the Kit includes Tires & Wheels
- Additional accessories shown are sold separately (RTT, etc)
- Removable/adjustable fenders
- Pro Comp AT Sport tires 265/70R17 mounted on Pro Comp Series 51 Steel Wheels (qty 3)
- 5x5 wheel bolt pattern
- All doors equipped with locking t-handle latches
- 3 main doors with slider drawer system
- S/S sliders with 200 lbs. capacity
- Rear sliders have hold open/closed latches to prevent unwanted movement
- All sliders equipped with hold close latches
- Kitchenette cabinet with locking drawer
- Generator/fridge cabinet with Mesh floor
- Integrated tie down points front and sides. 2 front, 4 each side one on top of main compartment
- 7 pin trailer wiring socket
- 2 inch front receiver /hitch mount adaptable to use articulating hitch or pintle hook
- 2 inch rear receiver hitch for mounting accessories
- 2 rear mounted shackle mounts for 3/4 inch shackles
- 2 inch ball coupler included for on-road use ONLY
- For off-road use you must use an articulating style coupler
- 5 Year Warranty
- Free Shipping
The moment you place your order you will receive order confirmation e-mail. This means that we have received your order in our system and pre-authorized your credit card for the purchase.
As soon as we receive your order we automatically check to confirm that your order is in stock and available for immediate shipment. If your item is on back-order or unavailable we will void the pre-authorization and reach out to you via e-mail or phone to see if alternate arrangements can be made.
If your item(s) are available for immediate shipment (within 5 business days) we will process the charges and get to work preparing your order for shipment.
If your order is in stock and we process the charges to your credit card it will ship within seven business days from the date of your order.
We will send you shipping confirmation within 24 hours of your order leaving the warehouse to the e-mail address you provided when checking out.
From brand to bran shipping times may vary. iKamper takes around 30 days to arrive, however all other brands will most likely be at your place between 5 to 10 days after you plced the order.
If you do not receive shipping confirmation from us within six business days of your order feel free to follow up with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please inspect the packaging of your item(s) when they arrive, if you notice any damage you should make note of it when signing for delivery.
If your item(s) do arrived damaged please send photos to email@example.com, then visit our Returns page and lodge your return claim online.
Why Shop With Us
We understand you've got alot of choice when it comes to Roof Top Tents and overlanding retailers online. But here's why we think you should shop with us at Off Road Tents
We aim to offer the BEST customer service. Got any doubts? Call us at any time.
Every order above $300 gets Free Shipping, and No Taxes. The price you see is the price you get.
Safe And Secure Shopping. We offer an SSL Service which will protect your credit card from any risks.
- All tents have a similar installation process, but they might vary a little, that is why we recommend you reading carefully THROUGH EACH PRODUCT MANUAL, as well as watching their videos (most are online, or you can ask us to send them to you).
- Tools needed: A Phillips head screwdriver, a box cutter, a second 13 mmm ratcheting wrench, a 10mm ratcheting wrench and a heck saw.
- Before mounting them onto a roof rack, flat rack or crossbar, the first step is removing your newly bought RTT from the box, as well as all the bits and pieces included (all RTTs WILL include all the necessary installation parts and a manual).
- Take the tent out of the box and place it on a clean surface with the straps faced DOWN. Set aside the mounting racks. Remove the protective plastic from the tent with the box cutter. Undo the straps from the sides of the tent and across the base.
- Open the tent, and take from inside of it all the contents. Most brands will include a tent cover, rainfly, ladder, mattress, and a pouch with the hardware, tools and parts.
- Most RTTs will include the following tools and hardware (see Image as an example): 2 bungees, 2 ladder brackets, 8 aluminum channel sliders with bolts and nuts, 4 end caps, four steel mounting plates, the needed wrenches, and four medium sized bolts with washers.
- Then, time for the action. Grab the mounting tracks of the RTT; place them on the tent base parallel to the hinges, aligning the holes in the tracks with the holes in the base.
- Grab the nuts, remove them from the four medium sized bolts and slide them into the mounting channels, as to align them to the holes in the base.
- Then take the bolts each with two washers, and slide them between the mattress and the tent base.
- Screw them into the pre drilled holes and the nuts you just put in the tracks.
- Once the tracks are on, you need turn/flip the tent over to install the ladder.
- Grab the Ladder Brackets and unscrew the bolts on each bracket, so that you can position over the pre-drilled holes at the edge of the tent base.
- Take the longer bolts each with the washer, and slide them between the mattress and the tent base, into the pre-drilled holes and up through the ladder bracket.
- Attach each one with a nut and leave them loose.
- Then grab the ladder and through the holes at the end of it, join it to the by passing the remaining length of the bolt through the holes in the ladder end. Then add another nut and tighten it on both sides.
- Then rotate the ladder a few times, before tightening the bolts of the brackets to the base.
- Then secure the ladder with the straps (most tents should have them), and then reattach the side straps of the tent to secure it.
- Once all the parts have been installed, make sure you put the travel cover on top of the tent. It is a very easy process that barely needs explanation; just make sure you close the zippers carefully to prevent the tent fabric catching to the zipper.
- Time to place the tent on top of the vehicle. Since they weigh over 120 lbs, you will want the help of someone to do it.
- Mounting the tent mounting tracks depends on whether you have side rails or cross bars, and if you want the tent to open towards the side of the car or towards the back. In this step-by-step guide we will use a side mounting as an example on top of cross bars.
- Place the mounting racks in the base of the tent, PERPENDICULAR to your roof rack bars.
- Then, fit two aluminum channel sliders and bolts into each end of the mounting track, so that there is a bolt on either side of the roof rack bar. Repeat this process at each of the 4 points where the racks and mounting racks cross.
- Once this is done, fit a steel mounting plate on the bolts and under the roof rack bar, and secure them with nuts and tighten them with a wrench.
- Insert the rubber end caps into the end of the mounting tracks to avoid water or other materials going in there. You might need to hammer them in, but don’t be too aggressive.
- It is INSTALLED!
- Now, to open it, release the side straps, pull back the ladder until it locks out and use it as leverage to open the tent.
- Make sure all rungs of the ladder are locked into the edge.
- Before getting into the tent, make sure the hinges are properly engaged.
- Then unclasp the awnings and find the predrilled holes for the rainfly rods.
- Insert at a 45-degree angle and hook through the grommet.
- You are READY!